Table of Contents
Cloud Effect Acrylic Pouring
Hi 👋🏼 Have I told you how much I LOVE the Cloud Effect Acrylic Paint Pouring technique?!! I have followed Mely D. for a few years now, and I have always loved her work. While I have only used this technique a few times, I have always loved it. Now, I am having some fun experimenting with it!
For this Cloud Effect Acrylic Paint Pouring tutorial, I wanted to make a fantasy-style cloud painting. I used a small variety of colors and absolutely LOVE how this turned out. Let me know what you think!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. If you purchase by clicking the link, I will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you! This helps maintain our website and allows us to continue to help you learn more about Acrylic Paint Pouring. Click Here to read my full disclosure policy.
Supply List for the Cloud Effect Acrylic Paint Pouring Technique
- 18″X24″ (or any size you prefer)
- DecoArt Americana Satin Enamel White
- CraftSmart White Acrylic Paint
- LiquiTex Light Blue Permanent, Deep Violet, Mars Black, Phthalocyanine Blue, Prism Violet, Primary Yellow
- Artist Loft Light Violet
- Stir Sticks
- Dixie Cups
Paint Mix Guide: How to Mix Paints for a Cloud Pour
How do you mix cloud paint for pouring? It is simple! The DecoArt Satin Enamel Cloud Effect is achieved by adding DecoArt Satin Enamel paint to the acrylic paints. White is the most common color since it gives the gorgeous white cloud effect but you can use any DecoArt Satin Enamel paint color. Here is my paint mix guide:
- For this technique, I mixed 1-part acrylic paint into 3-parts pouring medium. I did this for all colors except for the WHITE color.
- For the WHITE color, I mixed equal parts DecoArt Satin Enamel paint & CraftSmart White Acrylic Paint. After I mixed these two white paints together, I added pouring medium and water to thin to the same consistency as the colored paints. TIP: Take a little extra time to mix the Satin Enamel paint with the Acrylic paint. The two paints are completly different and they don’t like to mix well together unless mixed throughly.
🎨A TIP FROM ME TO YOU ❤: It can be easy to get frustrated when creating art. Trust the process, trust YOURSELF and enjoy your creative journey!🎨
How to Create the Cloud Effect Acrylic Paint Pouring Technique
- Prepare your paints using the Paint Mix Guide listed above. You will spend most of your painting time with this step… don’t rush it!
- Layer your colored paints and your White paint into your pour cup. I did not use any specific pattern or design when I layered my cup. You may want to experiment with this step to get results that YOU love!
- (OPTIONAL) Cover the edges and corners of your canvas with left-over paint. Watch my QUICK TIP video below:
- Pour the paints into your paint cup using the Tree Ring Technique. Go slow with this step and try not to agitate the paints in your cup too much…you don’t want a muddy mess pouring from your cup!
- Slowly tilt your canvas in a circle pattern and watch as the rings grow and the clouds expand! (This is my favorite part of the painting process!)
- If you have not done so already, make sure your edges and corners of the canvas are covered.
- Let your paints dry on a flat and level surface. It is best if you can prop up your canvas so that the canvas does not sit in the wet paint on your table. (You can place your canvas on Dixie Cups to elevate it off the table.)
Finishing and Sealing
FINISHING AND SEALING
I like to use Rust-Oleum Gloss Crystal Clear Enamel to seal my acrylic paint pour masterpieces: https://amzn.to/3bXrS2O (This can also be purchased at Craft Stores, Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace Hardware.)
I love how this lightweight product provides a glossy finish to my paintings. In this video, I am outside in my backyard in Tucson, AZ. I do recommend you spray outside because of the fumes and overspray. If you have to be indoors when you spray, please follow the safety precautions listed on the bottle and be safe!
Learn fluid art with Erika from Desert Hippie Arts!
Paint Pour Academy was created to help streamline your learning process and teach you the basics of Acrylic Paint Pouring and Resin Art while having some fun along the way.
Save hours of struggle and costly disappointments.
Learn how to create fluid art with a seasoned pro at your side!
Fluid art is so much fun to create, but it can be hard to get the results we want. Start enjoying the art you create with Erika’s curated classes, including access to her ebooks, videos, members-only tips and tricks, and more!